Opening the door to God

I recently saw the movie “Salt”, starring Angelina Jolie. There is significant portion of the movie that was filmed at St. Bart’s in New York, the Episcopal Church we sent a delegation to for their annual conference a few years ago. It was actually the first time I had been able to see inside that Church, and what a cool looking church it is. I also received an email from Bill Tully, because I am on the mailing list, not because I know him, where he explained how it came to be that Salt was filmed in the Church. He closed his email with a poignant statement, “Opening the door for God is a privilege and a challenge, the very heart of our ministry, every day. That's the way of God's world, filled with vocation, opportunity - - and yes, temptation.”

What does opening that door look like for you and for me? Is it vulnerability? Is it simple openness? Is it centered around justice? What does it look like in order to take the privilege and the challenge to open the door to God and to the Spirit? How often do we succumb to temptation? How often do we see opportunity as temptation? How often do we leap at opportunity? In my time away at CREDO I found myself joyously telling the story of Gethsemane to people who wanted to hear and know more. Our story, the story of this past five years, is a remarkable one. It is a story of opening the door to God and the response we have all had at the privileges, opportunities and temptations presented to us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

An interesting Observation