ON THE DRIVE HOME... I want Easter!!!

I bought two doughnuts for Eliot and Naomi after my meeting at a local coffee shop on Monday and thought it would get me a lot of good points to give them the treats for the ride home. These were not just regular doughnuts, they were chocolate covered, with lots of sprinkles on top.

The woman who served me there asked the question after I told her they were for my kids, not for me, "Why is it that kids absolutely love sprinkles, its not like they taste like anything, they just are colorful." We concluded that scientists everywhere had spent enormous amounts of time studying the pheromone reactions of children to eating sprinkles.

Anyway, I left, excited to be able to give the kids their treats and was jazzed about to hear what they would say.

In the car, I told them I had a present for the two of them, Naomi freaked out laughing and laughing and laughing, and as I reached into the big and pulled out the doughnut, she screamed in great delight. When I handed Eliot the doughnut, there was a little different reaction.

Anger, crying and screaming "No! No! No!!!" I was shocked, seriously, he was saying no, no no! And with enthusisasm. Why would a child not want a chocolate covered sprnikly doughnut, were the scientists wrong, did they study only kids 2 and under and 4 and above?

Then his anger subsided into sobs and what I heard next was the funny part, guess what he wanted, guess what our little boy wanted. EASTER! I want Easter, imagine Easter, as he said it, starting at a regular inside voice level, ending with the "r" at the top of his lungs, it looks something like this: easTERRRRRRR!!!!!

So I asked Eliot if I could eat his doughnut, quietly he said, "no."

ASIDE:
As I pulled up to the stop light at Franklin and River Road, I looked back and saw Naomi's mouth, open as wide as possible, trying to get the sprinkles and chocolate off all at the same time. That's all she ate, I got to eat the slimy, gooey snot covered remains after she gnawed off the chocolate and the sprinkles.

And it was good.

Comments

sara said…
I am loving these!

can you get easter at the donut shop?

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation