ON THE DRIVE HOME... In the Commons, not actually in the car

I usually pick the kids up in a big room called: "The Commons" at Daycare. It is the place where they throw all the kids together, all ages and let them run rampant after 4PM because of rules and regulations which I won't get into right now. Suffice it to say, its always loud and crazy and wild.

Eliot was standing in there one day, looking just fine, until I arrived when all of the sudden the flood gates opened and the tears poured out. Apparently one of the big kids had scared him pretending to be a fox, the poor kid didn't know how to respond so when I arrived he just cried, ran into my arms and sobbed. I told him next time to pretend he was on a horse with a big rifle hunting foxes for his family to eat.

Just kidding, I would never do such a thing. Or would I... I did tell him to be wolf and howl and bare his claws and teeth. It seemed to calm him down a bit.

Another time in the commons, as I arrived, a big kid came up to him and said, "I like your shirt", the shirt had a big 18 wheeler carrying cars, the little boys head hadn't ever swelled so much, I honestly thought he was going to explode with pride.

So today, I arrive and the kids run up to me, I had to find them as they were not in their usual place on the trampoline in the corner, and all goes as it usual does. But lately what i have been noticing is that Naomi seems to attract a crowd... of little boys... who like to touch... her.

Uh huh. Its happening, crap. Look out below, how do I deal with this???

Teacher Judy solved it for me when she said to the 2 little boys touching and bumping into her, "Don't touch with your bodies!" WHAT, I thought, WHAT do you mean, don't touch with your bodies, is this such a common and regular event that it has gotten to the point that the teachers just nonchalantly say, don't touch with your bodies, and if they already are touching with their bodies what the... do they touch with their hands?! This is my kid we're talking about, what happens next??? I don't want to know, and don't even think of telling me in the comments.

None the less, I put Naomi's jacket on and we got ready to go. Now, I have to say the other thing that is really odd about picking up the kids, is that the same 2 or 3 kids show up each time and look at me as if they are expecting me to put on their jackets and take them home. One kid has even gone so far as to reach out to take my hand. I guess all us dads look just the same or something.

So today, after we were ready to go I heard mumbling from Naomi and witnessed a little swat in the air. Not sure what se was getting at I looked at her with a cocked head, and I heard her say, while looking angrily at the kids surrounding us, "My daddy!" Swat. "MY daddy!!" Swat. "MY DADDEEEE!!!" Swat, swat SWAT!

It was then that I realized that Naomi has been protecting me from the evil little children that want to steal me and take me for their own. What a saintly little girl I have. And what a brave protector she is, standing up to the little boys who would only seek to do me, her, mommy and eliot harm. I love her.

Comments

Laurie said…
It seems like all that happened in a short period of time. What chaos! What happened to Naomi's admirers? What does don't touch with your bodies mean?

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation