Can't taste or smell a darn thing

I am sick, and I have been sick all week, and it is no fun what so ever, what I have discovered during this time of illness, one of the worst since I have been in High School I think, is something that I have never expereinced before. I am so plugged up, I am so stuffed up, I can't taste or smell a darn thing! Sara cooked brownies the other day, couldn't smell 'em at all. I cooked bacon for breakfast and coudln't smell it either. I tried to chow down some oranges as well, thinking the Vitamin C would solve all my problems and I would be able to taste those, no luck. I have scented candles going strong in my office right now as I write, don't smell a thing!

Taste and smell are completley blocked by all the, well, you know what they are blocked by, nothing can get through. It is no fun, no fun at all. This coming Sunday, tomorrow in fact, is a Transfiguration Sunday, I say "a" becasue I guess its celebrated in August some time as well, anyway, I am hoping to be transfigured out of this very horrible place and given back my vanished senses. I told Sara that when my sense of Taste and Smell finally return we are going to have to go out and have a great and excellent dinner. My whole point in writing this, was to briefly reflect on how our worship, most of the time, engages all of our senses, we don't use incense regularly anymore at Gethsemane, so we depend on the "Old Church Smell" for our noses, worship engages all of our senses, each and every one, and when we are lacking one of more of those senses, we must depend on each other to experience that part of worship for us. We trust God, we trust the people we worship with to carry us along, bring us along with them as we celebrate the Glory of God in our lives.

Living in community is all about trust, faith, belief that God is present and willing to be with us not just in those mountaintop experiences, but also in the mundane every day boringness that can be our lives. I know, though I probably unfortunatley won't be able to, that others who will be at Church with me this week, will tase and smell aspects of the Eucharist that engage those senses. Our worship will be fully engaged and celebrated becasue as a community of people gathered the fulness of God will be present.

I have been a little bit grateful for this cold this past week, because it has also afforded me to block out the "noises" of the senses of tase and smell. There is a sheer silence in my eating and in my smelling that I have not expereinced before. I think that is probably a bit wierd, but it has allowed me to see God's presence in my life during a time of stress, anxiety and worry. So it hasn't been all bad, but don't get too excited I still can't wait to have a juicy steak when I can FINALLY taste and smell again. I will pry have to cook up some more bacon as well, I love bacon.

Be well, smell the flowers for me but don't tell me you had bacon for breakfast, whatever you do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation