An interesting Observation

I was sitting on the pew out in front of the Church on 4th Avenue waiting for my lovely and beloved wife to pick me up. Our other car was in the shop and due to rushed-ness we had to just drop me off at Church today. Anyway, I was sitting out there for about 15 minutes waiting for Sara to come and pick me up and I noticed something very odd. I didn't keep a number tally in my head, but I bet half of the people walking toward me crossed the street, not in the crosswalk at the corner, but at some other point before arriving at where I was sitting.

Now, I was wearing my collar and sitting in the pew reading a book. The pew has been used frequently I have noticed by many passersby, I even saw a young man take off one of the round parts of the pew, it had kind of fallen off, so no longer attached, but just stare at it and look it over as he walked on. So the pew has not been an intimidating thing, it was definitely me and my collar, and no, I didn't smell, because many others walked by and said hello. It was fascinating though all these people intentionally crossed the street, a very dangerous street, or completely avoided eye contact and did not say hello back to me when I said hello.

Are we clergy that anxiety provoking that people will try to avoid us at all costs? I have noticed that people down here in Minneapolis tend to not stare at me in wonder, or confusion or even respect, but make an extra effort to avoid contact with me, verbal or eye or even non verbal. We cause great angst when we have that collar on. Very interesting... Any thoughts out there?
Be well,
A+

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hm. Sit out on the pew without the collar on - see what you notice "in disguise"
Anonymous said…
How about trying it with two "sitters" who initiate a friendly smile and greeting.

I was once told that to initiate a conversationthat I simply needed to be the first to smile. I'm currently 3,000 plus miles away on a tropical island, don't speak the language, but every morning I smile and wave as the locals walk by my abode. This morning, I again dutifully smiled - waved, one of the natives finally stopped and attempted to engage me in a conversation. Tomorrow maybe two will stop and engage with me.

Anon (sunburned)
Anonymous said…
In my experience alot of people downtown avoid any kind of conversation, but a smile and Hi could change someones day for the better.
Thanks for the suggestins, although I think it would work best if we first did the test on your tropical island so I could get a real good scientific result from the study.

How does next week work???
I think I will try your suggestions though!
A+
Anonymous said…
Are you sure they could see your collar & crossed to avoid you?

That seems extreem, but I gather a lot of people do prefer not to converse w/ clergy because their perception of clergy is based on exposure to religious people who have been moralistic, judgemental, closed minded, overly agenda driven, etc. It frustrates me that this stereotype is so prevalent that it's hard for people to realize there are lots of people in churches who aren't like that & that faithfulness doesn't necessarily lead to that kind of thing.

What can we do about it?
1) More beer blessings? :)
2) Be mindful of how we deal w/ people - including kids -unfortunate experiences sometimes really stick
3) What else...let's brainstorm...
Anonymous said…
I keep picturing a tshirt that looks like a priest shirt and collar - in the same style as the tshirt that looks like a tuxedo, or a woman in a bikini (which would work really well on the tropical island)
Anonymous said…
You do raise an interesting issue. No not how to get you transported to a tropical island. The question you raise is how do we engage stangers to want to learn more about Gethsemane, and who we are.

A few years back the leadership rejected two ideas that may be worthy of revisiting. One was to grill and sell hot dogs and burgers at noon every Thrusday (or pick your day) for the month of July. Sell them cheap - real cheap so that the neighbors to the west wil leave the confines of their building(s) to come to our parking lot. The funds raised could in some way be given back to the neighborhood.

Another idea was raised by someone to pass out bottles of spring water with a flyer attached listing who we are and what we stand for.

Maybe it's too much time on the beach, but surely there are ways to get those who are reluctant to at least slow down before deciding to avoid the Vicar.

Sunburned.
Anonymous said…
snowcones! I know you can rent machines!
OK Anonymous,
When you get back, I want to see the sunburn.

I like the selling hot dogs and burgers thing a lot, especially in conjunction with Twins game.

Of course, I am going crazy trying to figure out who you are!!!

BTW I am going to try the sitting thing sometime this week, I may even try it at the new library...

Be well!
A+
Anonymous said…
I'm all over the hotdog stand. I like the Noon idea.
Anonymous said…
To some the collars signify warmth, friendliness, and caring. To others, it represents discipline, scariness, and authority, indoctrination etc.

I like the hot dog suggestion, and I would try days with the collar, and days without the collar.

I also like the idea of putting speakers outside the church, so the music fills the streets on Sundays.
Anonymous said…
Perhaps you should try sitting outside with a big jug of ice water on a hot afternoon with a sign that says "free water!" and see what happens.

It works for Wall Drug, why not for Gethsemane!?
Water and Hot Dogs on a hot summer day, you just can't beat it, I suppose I should recommend this course of action soon as June is just around the corner. I wonder if the Twins would sponsor such an event!!!

Awesome!
A+
Anonymous said…
Don't read the book. Just have an interesting one on your lap, or whereever. An interesting cover and topic would help.

If you're busy people will not want to bother you.

I don't think you are putting folks off with the collar. Now if you were all in black and a suit. . .cv

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon