Reflections Part 2

This morning at our Tuesday Eucharist we celebrated St. Augustine of Cantebury, not the other Auggie of Hippo, but Augustine of Cantebury, the first Archbishop of Cantebury, and there was something written by Sam Portraro in his book, Brightest and Best, A companion to Lesser Feasts and Fasts, that was very interesting to me. He wrote, "The Middle Way is not always mediocrity. From its inception Anglicanism chose a course for the middle road; for that choice Anglicans are called wishy-washy, noncommittal, even 'chicken'. Yet even the chicken will tell you, if she could, that it is the side ditch, the extreme edge of the road's path, that promises safe haven; the middle of the way is the most dangerous, exposing one to injury and death. The middle of a struggle between warring factions is the place of greatest danger."

Part of the piece I did not speak to in my previous reflection, which is right below this one, was about the sense people seemed to have, of a lack of identity for the Episcopal Church. We have struggled with this middle way identity for a very long time, it has been messy challenging and hurtful as well, not to mention a bit unmarketable, can't you see the signs, "Figure out for yourself, Join the Episcopal Church" or "We don't have the answers for you, Join the Episcopal Church", come up with your own sign and post it as a comment. Anyway, it got me to thinking, if our identity is so up in the air, why can't we simply claim ourselves as the middle way, as the messy church, and the place where you don't have to check your mind or any other part of you at the door as the core of our identity. Maybe we should rip off the the Baptismal Covenant and make as our identity the statment, "we respect the dignity of ALL people."

What came to mind was the movie, "Keeping the Faith" with Ben Stiller and Edward Norton, when Ben Stiller's character, Jake, a Jewish Rabbi, was preparing one of the kids for his Bar Mitzvah. The kid couldn't sing because his voice was cracking as he beagn his journey into, what's that called, puberty??? Anyway, Jake, the Rabbi, started giving him a lecture about how there is a reason God makes these kids do this rite of passage at 12 and 13. It is so they can challenge God and step up to the plate ready to accomplish and embrace fully their manhood, the call of God to become a man. So Ben Stiller gets the little guy to start chanting, I love that I suck, I love that I suck, all the while he's beating a drum saying at the top of his lungs "I LOVE THAT I SUCK!!!" Wouldn't it be something if we as Episcopalians took a risk and started chanting WE LOVE THAT WE DON'T HAVE THE ANSWERS FOR YOU! or WE LOVE THAT WE'RE VAGUE or WE LOVE THAT WE DON'T KNOW or WE LOVE THAT WE SUCK!

What would come of something like that, what would come of us not being ashamed that we don't think we know the bible as well as the fundamentalist just becasue we haven't memorized certain passages that fit our particular theological and political view. What would come us not being ashamed any longer of who we are as Episcopalians and confidently step into the identtiy that has been developed for ages, an identity, that I believe does not conform to the traditional denominational structures, but one that recognizes the value of listening, of community, of being in COMMUNION with each other. Are we giving up our authroity in that kind of declaration are we givng up our integrity or our relevance? I understand we are in a time of great paradigm shifts and structural upheaval and systemic transformation, but I believe that we have not been true to that vintage Episcopalianism, or better yet, Communion that was founded by Henry 8th and brought to fruition by Elizabeth. Let's put on the challenge fully rather than partly so we can begin to transform ourselves, our souls and our boidies and walk into the call God has given us.

That is all for now, I'm tired.
Be well,
A+

Comments

Anonymous said…
I *JUST* taped that movie this weekend so I could watch it when I had the time to sit and enjoy it - I thought of you when I taped it - great minds!
Anonymous said…
I don't know the answers for you... but I know a guy who could help.
Anonymous said…
Right on! Ever onward and ever forward - You, sir, rock. What ARE we afraid of? Let's put on our big boy/girl panties and deal with who we are!

Love you, Fr. Aron - :)
Anonymous said…
With my oppurtunity to visit the United Nations with the Anglican Observer comming up, I've had many people call me for interviews and Q&A sessions. It's been an interesting test for me. I don't know what I"m going to do there. I'm not sure why I was nominated. I didn't do anything special to gain attention to myself. When people start asking me pointed questions I've decided to answer. I've prayed about it and know that I have a calling. I am going to show up and just do what God tells me I need to do once I get there. I think it's become an intersting metaphore for my church. A lot of people are here for different reasons. Many of them aren't able to claim even one of them. However, we all just show up and do what God has called us to do. No black and white, no right and wrong. No answers or gimmics or quotes. Just faith. I've begun to feel more at peace with that now. I don't have any answers for what people are asking me. I just have faith and God does the rest.
Anonymous said…
The "official" summary, http://www.episcopalmn.org/News_052406_MetroMission.htm is interesting reading. It illustrates why you have a right to be frustrated. Unlike the individual quoted, I'm concerned that only 140 attended. I would have expected many more. Still stranded on the island for a few more weeks. Need more of your blogs to help me reflect on my faith.
Sunburned
Anonymous said…
Quote from that story:

"The Lutheran and Catholic models warrant further examination and benchmarking, as they are very similar to us in liturgical style. What is working for them that is not working for us?"

How about a hundred plus years of history here? The stereotypical Minnesotan is Blonde, Lutheran and bickering over who is better - Swedes or Norweigians. The Germans who came in were either Lutheran or Catholic. Family history can play a huge part in the decision of where to go to church.

It might be a better measure to find out how many people completely unrelated to the Lutheran or Catholic church ended up joining - That would be the same target audience as the Episcopal church - I would think anyway ......

Quick kneejerk thoughts from a frazzled mind....
Anonymous said…
crazy ambiguity is why i like the episcopal church. common liturgy, not necessarily common beliefs, but all bound by a desire to be God's people doing God's work in the world.

I keep getting into a little "faith vs works" debate in my little head. but shouldn't faith lead to works?? and vice versa?

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation