Been A While

I recently returned from vacation on the North Shore, and then Sunday night through Wednesday afternoon, the Clergy Conference in Buffalo, MN. The Clergy Conference was an Anti Racism training, and it was very interesting, not because of the content, unfortunately, it was not very productive in my eyes, but because of the way clergy interacted and the tension between the facilitators and the clergy. I won't get into it, but it was quite a long conference with much frustration and anger.

The biggest learning I had through the conference, was that the seemingly endless attack on Homosexuals in America and in the world, as well, way to go Canada, check this link out, is important but may also be clouding the issue of racism in the Church. One of the comments made in the weekend was that racism is a greater problem than homophobia. Hard to imagine as Episcopalians as we teeter on the edge of supposed schism, over sex, not race... But then again, this is a battle between the southern hemisphere and the northern hemisphere, African Bishops and White American Bishops. No one, not even our facilitators were willing to have that conversation, which, I believe would have been a whole lot more productive and engaging than talking about my own personal white guilt, which is where many folks decided to go .

It is an interesting situation, I think Racism is a bigger problem, and a more important problem, some will say it is not racism, it is the use of power, but it is not just the use of power, it is, as racism is defined, prejudice combined with the abuse of power that is racism. The other interesting learning I had, was that many people see classism as separate from racism, totally separate. I am not sure I agree with that. Those of you who read this blog and might be interested in stating a covnersation on this topic, let me know, I think it would be very fruitful to enter into some dialogue regarding racism, and classism and how they are linked and how we can live together across the spectrum. Gethsemane sits in an excellent place to do just that dialogue, with the high end condos rising over the city and the 900 units of affordable housing built by CCHT all in our little neighborhood. Let's talk, let's dialogue so we can be sure we are not unconsciously excluding people.

Be well,
A+

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmmm. Race and class as totally separate?? When I co-facilitate that same workshop, I emphasize that they are deeply entwined, interlocking social constructs. They're like Siamese twins in the USA; you don't see one without the other.

Yes, we do need to address that reality at Gethsemane and in the wider community.
I agree with you Lou and when folks stood up to complain, no one brought that very point to bear, it was one more opportunity to debunk the process... Oh well.
Anonymous said…
my experience with anti-racisim workshops has been that there is always an assumption that it's my first one. that I have never taken a look at my privelege and my complicity in institutional discrimination. I want STEPS to take, actions, not contemplation. I can Mary with the best of them, but there comes a time to Martha a bit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

An interesting Observation