ON THE DRIVE HOME... People are wonderful

Eliot has taken to wearing a pink dress lately, dancing to the soundtrack of Juno, and other music, and just fully enjoying his life at home as a ballerina. It has been a joy to watch and if I can get the videos off my phone card someday I will post them, much, I am sure, to his eventual chagrin.

On the drive home yesterday, Wednesday, I was talking (to myself) about how Church people have to have names, I said out loud, "everyone has to have their own name!"

Eliot responded, "why do people need their own names daddy?"

I said, probably entirely inappropriately, "Because people are weird and strange Eliot."

For the past couple of days I have been working on creating a disk of reflections by Desmond Tutu that I can give as a gift. One of the reflections is titled "People are Wonderful". Bishop Tutu talks about how in all his life the one thing he has learned is that people are wonderful.

Eliot responded to my weird and strange comment not with his usual "Why, daddy, why?" statement but with this one instead: "Not all people are like that daddy."

There was a moment of silence as I marveled at this little boys wisdom. Then I asked, do you mean not all people in the church are like that? To which he said, No daddy, not all people like that!!! Very emphatically. So I said, you mean no one in the world is like that, his response, "yeah, not all people like that, all people are happy."

There was a bit of silence, and I turned onto Snelling from Larpenter, we were actually going out to eat, not home, and Eliot said, "princesses happy, daddy."

I said, oh yeah? Why are princesses happy Eliot? He said, because they wear dresses, and they dance to music, they dance at home, they dance ballerina dance, they like being ballerina's, they like ballerina dance.

Understanding where he was going with this, I asked him, with a huge smile on my face, "And what, exactly, do princesses wear Eliot?"

His response: "Pink dresses."

At which time their began an enormous world shattering row between Naomi and Eliot about who had more pink on, both my princesses, as happy as they could be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation