ON THE DRIVE HOME... Yay!!!

Eliot just finished his last steroid pill this morning. Every month he gets 5 days of steroids, and while he does not turn into the little hole-in-the-stomach-eating-machine-with-a-temper monster anymore, he still is affected. Sara probably will hate me for this, but I am quite fascinated each month by how he changes during the steroid time.

We will often say to people, when he is acting crazy and wierd, its the steroids. Most of the time people laugh and think we are joking, of course, it gets a bit awkward after that sometimes. No, really, he's on steroids.

This month has been different than most in that he has been more clingy and attached to the hip, mostly of momma, not me, for some reason this past week or two, daddy mania has drifted away and I am no longer the exciting one to be with, momma has replaced me.

Anyway, on Monday I dropped the kids off at “School”, that’s what we call daycare, school, they learn things there, like how to punch and kick and beat the crap out of each other. How to make fun of the nerdy kids. How to survive the general nastiness and hostility little boys and girls reap upon each other for no other reason than that they can. They learn a lot at school. It's an important time.

On Monday morning, the old sad Eliot face showed up, the one that appeared every time I left him in his room those first few weeks, the old sad face that sent him to the corner of the only room that would offer him protection from the harsh cruel world of daycare – the bathroom.

I was pretty heartbroken, tears, lip trembling, it looked awful for him. On the drive home, while he was munching down one of the bagels I had brought the kids, he said, “Daddy, I cheered up at school today, I didn’t stay sad.” Thinking I could hear about his activities, and what he actually did in a day, I asked, “What caused you to cheer up bud?”

He put the bagel carefully in his lap, I witnessed this in the rearview mirror, he looked at his hands and threw them up in the air and said, “Yay!” We all laughed and threw our arms up in the air and said “Yay!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation