Last Sermon preached at Gethsemane. Jan 13, 2013


The Rev. Aron Kramer
First Sunday After the Epiphany
January 13th, 2013


I feel like John, John the Baptist that is. I feel like John might have felt at the transitioning of his ministry into Jesus’ own. Surrounded by expectation surrounded by people who thought he was it, he was the guy. John was baptizing and healing, preaching and teaching, and had a reputation to go with it all. Then Jesus comes and you hear from John this shift, something about being unworthy, and unquenchable fire. There’s a little bitterness in there. You have to imagine, that as the heavens were torn open, and that amazing sound, or voice comes from heaven, you have to think that John was hiding in the corner thinking to himself, “Why didn’t I think of that!”

Of course I am a little off, John was probably much more gracious and generous than I can imagine, after all, he is John the Baptist. So maybe it’s not so much John that I feel like, maybe I feel more like one of John’s disciples. There was great expectation around John, people wanted him to be the Messiah, wanted him to give them all they needed for their lives. People clung to the idea of John, and the words that he spoke. They made him their savior; their chosen one, only to see it all come crashing down at his premature death.

We find out later in the Pauline letters that there is often a disconnect between Paul and his understanding of Jesus as the Messiah and the people he runs into who were disciples of John the Baptist. John’s disciples, those who never decided to follow Jesus despite John’s urgings, put up a significant fight when it came to giving up their belief, their discipleship to John and shifting it towards Jesus.

But, as I think about this Gospel, as I think of the human emotions that John must have felt at the river where he was baptizing all those people, I remember a sermon preached here on one of the first Sundays I attended Gethsemane. It seems that as I wrote this last sermon, as I thought about endings, all I could bring to mind were beginnings. The sermon preached, the one I remember, was a sermon preached by the Rev. James Snyder, your interim priest of sorts, who walked with you after Sandye Wilson left and before I arrived.

Jim stood here at his own transition, knowing he would not be back all that much and preached a wonderful sermon, a letter to the Vicar, so to speak, where he asked me to remember that we are all vessels, vessels for the Holy Spirit. He looked at me, he looked at all of you and he said, “Aron is not your messiah, Aron is not your savior.” Then he looked at me and said, “Aron, you are not their messiah, you are not Gethsemane’s savior.”

Looking back on those words, I am sure I lost track of that very important fact, as perhaps some of you may have lost track of that message as well. I sure wished I could be the savior of Gethsemane, wished I could move us into sustainability and greatness. When Bishop Jelinek asked me to come here, he said to me, “Aron, if you succeed at Gethsemane you will be able to go anywhere you want.” I didn’t quite understand what he meant at that moment, I think I know now what he meant, but his words sure didn’t help keep that messiah complex at bay.

It’s possible I feel like John because I know deep in my soul that I am not the Messiah, that I am not the savior. I also know that I wanted to be that, I wanted to save this place. I, at many points lost the idea that I was simply preparing the way, always speaking, baptizing, loving, but not saving. I am not the savior of this place, not of anyone here, not of the world.

I am simply a human being, a child of God, made to glorify God in the world to the best of my ability. Made by God to be fully alive, filled with the Spirit and overcome with the abundant love God has for me, and for the entire world. And when I forgot those things, it wasn’t long before the brokenness of my life, brought me back on track. It was through life events such as Eliot’s near death and his fight with Leukemia that reminded me of who I was. It was the struggle of a broken marriage resulting in a divorce and my own challenges that were never fully understood, shame that went deeper than I thought and effected more of you than I could imagine. These are the things that knocked me off my pedestal, knocked us down from our high places.

We are all human, I am human, and I am grateful for that. I look around this sanctuary, indeed, as I wrote much of this sermon I sat in those wonderful orange chairs over there absorbing as many memories as I could this past week, thinking about all the stuff I didn’t accomplish. All the things I wanted to do, but now, will not get the chance. But as I began to be filled with a little despair, despair about work not completed, about work not fulfilled, about relationships ending, I was drawn to this table, this altar. This one here where so many sacraments have been shared, so many words have been spoken, so much love has been felt and shared.

I was reminded of one thing that we did do really well together. We, together, tore open the exclusive barriers, the walls, and the limitations that the Church and the world has placed on this table and we together created a hospitable environment and a welcoming community that has changed the face of this Church.

When I was ordained, The Rev LeeAnne Watkins preached at my ordination. Her sermon I have mostly forgotten unfortunately, but what I do remember has had a lasting impact on my ministry, on the very vocation I have lived, and on the core of my own humanity. LeeAnne preached about the importance of guarding the Eucharistic table. She said it was of the utmost importance that I, as a priest of this Church guard this table with my very life.

Now, many of you may find that a bit odd, some of you come from traditions where that is exactly what was happening, the table was protected from those deemed unworthy to participate in the life of the Church. Some of you come from places where the table was only open to those who would believe exactly as the rest of the community believed.

But LeeAnne wasn’t speaking of the exclusion that has been created around our Eucharistic feast; no , she was speaking of something much more difficult and much more dangerous and much more uncomfortable. She was asking me to guard the table from those who would prevent anyone from coming to it. She was preparing me to guard with my life this table against all those who believed you had to be perfectly worthy, or a dutiful follower of Christ in some certain and narrow understanding of the word follower, in order to be welcomed at it.

Little did LeeAnne know, and little did I know, that I would come to understand the meal we share together at this table as the most important and most vital part of our humanity and core to my understanding of the abundant love that God has for all of us. 

Together we have done this work, of this I am certain, we have held open the iron curtains that are placed in front of this table to prevent people who are deemed unworthy from participating in the life of this community. We have torn open the limitations set upon Christian membership, upon belonging by being sure that this table, this altar is a place of respite, a place of love for anyone who seeks to eat with us.

It is this task that I entrust to you as I leave this community of faith. For it is, I believe, the only way the Church today will find its way towards wholeness. We must guard this table against all those who would claim it to be an exclusive club. We must guard this table from those who wish to place regulations, and expectations upon it. We must guard this table from being limited in any way to those who are in the world.

And how do we guard it? How do we protect it? Not in the way you might be thinking. We guard it by welcoming everyone to it. We guard it by taking it to the streets, letting it get dirty, letting it get beat up. Not worrying about who places their grubby hands on it. Not fretting about who might do what with it. We guard it by welcoming everyone, every single person that ever walks through these doors. We guard it in the same way that God has foolishly and crazily and ridiculously blessed each of us. By offering it to anyone and everyone who wishes to eat with us.

How we guard this table is how we also guard our own hearts, which is the rub. That is why it is so vital to understand our worship in such a poignant way. If we put limitations on who can come here, than we put limitations on who we allow to love us and who we allow ourselves to love. It is so easy to think that Sunday morning is the only place where hospitality is vitally important. Placing expectations on who is a good member, who I like and who I don’t like only leads to exclusion and a cold heart. When our hearts are open to everyone, so is our table, and we are fully alive.

After John baptized all the people, Jesus came to the river and there Jesus was baptized. And as Jesus was baptized, the heavens were torn open. And the Spirit descended upon Jesus and a voice was heard to say, “You are my beloved, with you I am well pleased.” Dear ones, this is what we are called to do, we have been baptized by the Spirit, we have been welcomed into the Body of Christ, our work is to tear open the iron curtains of exclusion that surround this table and surround our own hearts and lavishly, and foolishly share with everyone that same blessing. It is vital that each of us, and everyone in the world for that matter, hear it.

You are my beloved, and with you I am well pleased.
You are my beloved, and with you I am well pleased.
You are my beloved, and with you I am well pleased.

Thank you all for the ability and the opportunity to minister with you. You are my beloved, and with you I am well pleased, I pray that you will be pleased with me.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

An interesting Observation