OH YEAH! That's right...

Had a Baptism on Sunday and was reminded of how core that action is to my life of faith. I love how the Baptismal Covenant, though uniquely Episcopalian, says nothing about being an Episcopalian or even for that matter, says nothing about institutional Church. It was so refreshing.

It was similar to past experiences where I re-discovered those things I loved as a child or a young adult, things that gave me energy, passion and nourishment, not just nostalgia and useless memories. For instance, and laugh at your own risk, Dragonlance Fantasy novels, I love those things and read them regularly still today. They were enduring objects, hobbies or activities that I have, for a long time, enjoyed immensly.

Saying the Baptismal Covenant with the members of my parish, claiming those questions as a core piece of who I am as Christian, really was like breathing fresh and new air. I heard little about our Baptismal covenant at Convention, or of what we as a Episcopalians claim as pieces of how we express ourselves and our faith. Scripture, Reason and Tradition, the three legged stool, our baptismal covenant, and a few other things. It was wonderful to experience and definitely a holy spirit moment.

I think the other thing that rings true for me is that I am Christian before I am Episcopalian, and as a Christian am sent to participate in God's mission in the world before I am called to defend or even finance my own church. That was a bit odd to think about, and I may change my mind in the future, but that is how I feel right now. I am happy to be back immersed in the words of the Covenant and reminded of the stool (the three legged one that is) and the radical inclusiveness that was so central to Richard Hooker's work as the Church of England began to come to life in the mid 1500's.

I feel grounded again, and prepared to move forward in some way equipped with the root pieces of who I am and of course, who we are as we discern our future together.
My darned optimistic self has re-emerged. More to come...
Be well,
A+

Comments

dawn224 said…
awesome .. we still owe you 1 kid for dunking....

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Impartiality. Easter Day Sermon

A Deeper Crisis for the Episcopal Church in Minnesota???

An interesting Observation